RE: Talk about it

Subject: RE: Talk about it
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:13:06 -0500

Sandy Harris replied:
> <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:
>
> > It wasn't so long ago that China was talked about as "the sleeping
> giant",
> > and just wait till they start flexing their muscles - we'll all have
> learn Chinese.
>
> The "sleeping giant" line was originally Napolean's, so a fair while
ago.

Yes, but it got a lot more use in the media in slightly more recent
times. In my lifetime, I've seen the "sleeping giant" catchphrase used
with the second part of my paraphrase - "we'll all have to learn
Chinese" - tossed around during Cold War times, when China rolled over
and snorted (while having a standing army bigger than the population of
many countries), and again when China started making capitalist noises.
Given that Hong Kong figured so strongly in that second stirring, I
should have put two-and-two together. I'll check if one of the engineers
was from Hong Kong.
Thanks,
Kevin

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList