RE: Post current product user docs to company website?

Subject: RE: Post current product user docs to company website?
From: "Sarah L Blake" <sarah -dot- blake -at- exony -dot- com>
To: <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:32:53 -0000

>While you can't keep people from making
>their own notes, you can keep them from fiddling with your original
>documentation and making it look like it's official. For that reason,
we
>never sent customers anything but PDFs or printed materials. If they
>were going to make their own notes, they could be distinguished from
ours.

<slight tangent>

Last job I had, we started keeping the Word versions of the manuals away
from the /SMEs/, after one of them copied the Word version (produced
from AuthorIT source) to his hard drive, made extensive updates to it,
and never bothered either sending his changes to us or letting us know
about the project that required them.

I finally found out about it after I did an extensive audit linking all
the projects with documentation changes. How the SME thought that
changes to a document on his hard drive were going to get into the
printed manuals I /still/ don't know.

Sarah Blake
Technical Author

exony