Re: problems with eps graphics in framemaker

Subject: Re: problems with eps graphics in framemaker
From: doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 13:32:05 -0800

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:41:41 -0600, "pacholkd" <pacholkd -at- comcast -dot- net>
wrote:

>>The IT tech has done data transfer rate benchmarks
>> and data is moving back and forth between the server and my laptop
>> normally; laptop is an IBM ThinkPad T60p wide screen, with 3GB RAM, ATI
>> graphics. The EPS graphics load just fine on my old Pentium III
>> workstation.
>>
>> Any insight as to what's happening would be appreciated.

If you think it is the software you're using that's misconfigured or
broken, then I'm clueless and can't be much help, sorry
.

But I do have a silly hardware question for you: If you used to have
a desktop system and now you're working on a laptop, could it be that
while you used to load your .eps files over a wired network, now
you're transferring your .eps over 802.11x wireless? or dialup??
Wireless (excepting maybe laser wireless) will never be as fast as the
same gen ethernet, even when it is working just fine.

I (somewhat a geezer) have a trace memory that transfer rate
benchmarking software, such as your IT presumably used to address your
trouble ticket, can skew the results upward by using small files,
while your true transfer rate will be much slower for larger files. I
can neither say whether this is true or not, nor can I say why or why
not, but maybe someone else here has lived long and well enough to
have experienced and maybe debunked this same or similar bit of
network apocrypha (or not), which was going around IIRC in the early
days of DSL, when work-at-home people ceased spending their online
time wishing for a fractional T1 at home, and now spent it trying to
wring the last bits per second from their phone lines.

Other issues that you might encounter from remote (even wired ethernet
remote) and that could slow down large files, might be network
security protocols, or a connection pathway that routes you through a
packet parking lot. To check into routing slow-downs, google for
'trace route' (if you don't have a trace route software utility
installed) and grab a nice free/trial visual trace route program, and
then you can see where your packets are spending their time. Your IT
people might help you with this.

Happy trails.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com