RE: How do you differentiate yourself (UserFriendly)

Subject: RE: How do you differentiate yourself (UserFriendly)
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Stuart Burnfield'" <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:08:05 -0500

Stuart Burnfield wrote:

"I didn't say that TW applicants might wear a whacky hat as a
differentiator. I just mean it's an analogy--Idol contestants
who really have talent and know it don't need differentiators.

But it's probably just a tomayto-tomahto dispute..."

I agree about the tomayto-tomahto thing. However, to get back to what Eric
was referring to...how do you make your resume, CV, samples, etc., get
noticed from the clutter? If you know someone in the company, who's in a
position to influence the hiring authority then that is a big plus, but what
if you don't know anyone and 400 people apply for the same
"job-of-a-lifetime" position? If HR uses a program to weed out the chaff,
how to you ensure your material isn't weeded out? Even if HR doesn't use a
program, and your material happens to land in the "looks interesting" pile,
how do you ensure that you get called in for an interview? My background
includes marketing, that is why I it's how you market your skills that makes
your material stand out, because if you don't stand out, you won't get an
interview. You can call it whatever you want, but the end result is the
same, something in your material convinces the hiring authority to take
notice (and I'm not talking about using Day-Glo orange paper). Remember,
there are 400 applicants and even if only 10% are qualified, that means you
are competing against 40 other great application packages.

For myself, I research the company as thoroughly as I can (including
financials if possible to see if they will be around next year). Then I do
the same as most people, error free resume tailored to the job,
professional, concise cover letter, a CD that includes writing, video, Help,
photographic (tailored to the position), and webpage samples in addition to
a resume summary and full resume. The CD has an auto play feature that takes
you to a menu describing the CD contents and also providing contact
information. I also create a professional CD cover label tailored to the
application that mirrors the menu screen. It must work because I've always
gotten at least a telephone interview, and my times between jobs have been
minimal.

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design and Award Winning
Videos
Voice/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
office and beautiful note cards for all occasions.)

" ... I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a
pilgrim without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold
every day." (Anon)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList