Re: STC Salary data collection

Subject: Re: STC Salary data collection
From: doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:41:18 -0800

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:58:52 -0800, "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
wrote:

>BLS website

What I can't get from the BLS data on the BLS site is confidence in
BLS data. Who could, given stats like this one:

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/naics4_511200.htm#(2)

NAICS 511200 - Software Publishers

SOC Code #= 00-0000, Occupation Title= All Occupations ...

Mean Hourly = $ 37.30 ...
Mean Annual(2) = $77,570

(2) Annual wages have been calculated by multiplying the hourly mean
wage by a "year-round, full-time" hours figure of 2,080 hours;

By this method, the annual mean is $77,584, not $77,570.

One wants to assume that facts and errors in accounting do matter
enough that STC is checking the BLS bean counters before republishing
their figures, or else tech writing's reputation for good work might
suffer the way our credibility at self-reporting our wages has, in the
hands of the STC.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList