Shot in the dart?

Subject: Shot in the dart?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Craig Cardimon <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:47:08 -0400

Poor dart!

Craig Cardimon wondered: <<I need a hand in removing the partition
from a second-hand computer. [WinXP] Does anyone know of freeware or
shareware that could help me do this?>>

Nowadays, there's little reason to partion a desktop PC's hard disk
unless you're running multiple operating systems or need partitions
with different access rights to support different users. There are
some minor efficiencies to be gained from using partitions instead of
directories under other circumstances, but they're largely minor, and
they increase the complexity of recovering from a disk crash.

So: use the Windows installation disk to reformat the hard disk any
way you like, and reinstall everything. I do this as standard
practice for any used computer I buy for a few reasons: it maps out
any developing trouble spots on the drive, it eliminates spyware and
other crap that has found its way onto the computer, it repairs any
of the occasional glitches that happen when someone upgrades from
previous versions of an operating system (particularly registry
problems), it removes reams of cache files and other temporary
garbage that never quite seems to be cleaned out, and it gives you a
spanking new system to play with.

You could easily find various programs that remove partitions without
having to reformat the drive. The one I've heard of most often is
Norton PartionMagic (http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/
overview.jsp?pcid=sp&pvid=pm80), and I believe they offer a free
demo, but there are others with good reputations.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList