Data Flow Diagrams

Subject: Data Flow Diagrams
From: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Hickling, Lisa \(TOR\)" <lhickling -at- Express-Scripts -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:16:32 -0700 (PDT)

I often refer to data flow diagrams in my postings as they are so applicable in so many facets of TWing: task analysis, documentation structuring (i.e., organizing), estimating, risk analysis, project scoping, reverse engineering, standardization of terms, and proper grammar use.

Structured writing is the main skill set of a TW. Structured writing is really all about analysis, that is coming up with a properly structured understanding of the product and then letting that understanding guide the writing process. And what could be more appropriate to a structured analysis than structured analysis (i.e., data flow diagrams).

Genric Richard

"Hickling, Lisa (TOR)" <lhickling -at- Express-Scripts -dot- com> wrote:
Sir, I did not accuse you. Post as you see fit, as often as you see fit.
My only wonder is that others are so easily drawn in by the fighting
words "Richard|Tony" + "DFD".

Richard, the tone and content of your posts on the subject of DFDs tend
to be predictable. Whether this is your intention or not is debatable.
The focus of my post, however, was the volume and nature of everyone
else's response. Whether you intend it or not, respondents are baited to
an equally predictable counter response in an effort to refute your
claims. The result is 2 or 3 threads a month with the same thesis and
antithesis.

Nevertheless, you have every conceivable right to broadcast and
rebroadcast your opinions. In fact, I rather look forward to more of
your posts, only on other subjects, for example, on the perils of being
one-dimensional in technical communications.

Lisa Hickling
Greater Toronto Area, Ontario