Editing PDFs

Subject: Editing PDFs
From: "Sam Beard" <sbeard -at- oico -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:25:11 -0500

All,

I'm on WinXP with Acrobat 8.

I'm trying to slightly edit some text on PDF drawings and I keep
running into problems. From what I've gathered (and, indeed, it worked
on one drawing), if you have the fonts used in a document on your
system, you should be able to lightly edit a PDF. I need to change a bit
of text. The font used was Arial Narrow, which is on my system. I
couldn't change it. The drafter changed it to Arial, which is also on my
system, but I still can't edit it. When I try, I get the message that
one or more fonts used in it are not on my system. I need to check with
the drafter to see if there are other fonts used besides that, which
aren't on my system, which might be the case. However, there are a LOT
of fonts on my system, so I'm not sure about that. By the by, he did say
it was TT Arial, which is what I have. Is there something I'm missing?
Why did it work on one of the drawings but not on the others? Would it
work if I delete all of the standard drafting stuff, such as the box
with that includes the drafter's name, drawing name, and all that stuff
on the bottom right corner? (I'm about to try that right now, just to
see.)

Thanks much in advance!

Samuel I. Beard, Jr.

Technical Writer