Re: tech writer group dynamics - Positive Approach

Subject: Re: tech writer group dynamics - Positive Approach
From: alone writer <a_lone_wrtr -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Jill Mohan <jillemo -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:48:46 -0700 (PDT)

>>>I have never worked with another tech writer before, so i am a little
apprehensive

Jill-

Be not afraid.

1. You will now have an ally that can help you communicate with management: how tough it is to scope projects, getting respect, time & budget woes, on and on. You can join forces and promote Tech Writing at your company and expand your charter - what a concept.
2. You have a wonderful opportunity to make a new friend, but more than this you have an opportunity to learn from a new writer: tools skills, project skills, editorial, writing, and doc design skills, and much more
3. I would avoid trying to play the ?I?m the Senior Writer? game, it creates division right off the bat ? go for the higher ground and make the new person feel like they are welcome
4. Take the new person to lunch and make a public statement welcoming the new writer

I could say more, but if you want to email off-list?

ALW

Jill Mohan <jillemo -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

Hello,

I have just been told that my employer may be looking to add another tech
writer to the staff (doubling it, as I am the only one). A manager told me
to be prepared to interview candidates, and that they are hoping to clone
me. The company is a small defense contractor in northern Virginia.

I have never worked with another tech writer before, so i am a little
apprehensive about a few things: what will the career path be, how will it
be decided as to who gets to work on what, how long should it take to
write/review documents, etc.

Any caveats or recommendations for a person in this quasi-enviable position.

Thanks,
Jill Mohan

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as a_lone_wrtr -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/a_lone_wrtr%40yahoo.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList