RE: Spaces after full stop

Subject: RE: Spaces after full stop
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:39:10 -0700

> Auto-replacing a period followed by two spaces works
> better than trying to do it the other way around, because
> there are circumstances where you'd want to leave
> a single space alone when adding a second space, but
> once you've determined that removing double spaces is
> called for, there are no circumstances where you'd want
> to leave any instance of them alone.
>
> Gene Kim-Eng

Add to that that if you do a search-and-replace to replace a period followed
by one space to a period followed by two spaces, then even periods followed
by two spaces will be affected and you will wind up with a period followed
by three spaces in some cases.

Here's an interesting, in my extended weekend mind, question. Do y'all
apply the same rules to colons that you apply sentence-ending punctuation?
I do. Regardless of what punctuation is used to end a sentence, I follow
that punctuation with two spaces. I also follow colons with two spaces. I
realize that this convention is not necessary with modern typography, but I
like it anyway. I like the visual pause when there is a pause in writing
itself. I think that the spaces help break up phrases, similar to the
effect of rests in a musical piece.

We all seem to agree that the document owner's (client, employer, or
whomever) style conventions will prevail when they are available, but that
consistency is required in all cases. What seems to be at issue here is if
there is a "true" rule, which, apparently there is not, although there are
guides with rules and, in spite of a decidedly true rule, what convention do
we prefer? I don't think that even a poll will decide which convention is
"right," but I am interested in what people prefer and their decisions for
reaching that preference. But anyway...

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList