RE: Unique Documentation

Subject: RE: Unique Documentation
From: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>, wawelsmok <wawelsmok -at- o2 -dot- pl>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 08:59:05 -0700 (PDT)

The essential software documentation requirements are universal (i.e., they are technology independent). I am currently providing rigorous (i.e, having gone through a half dozen or more review cycles) software documentation of web middle-tier software. The approach I use is the essentially the same as I have also used for mainframe systems, web application software, packaged softwared, and PLC based software.

Generic Richard

Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

wawelsmok -at- o2 -dot- pl asked:
> Can anyone direct me to some well done, unique examples of software
> documentation? Something outside of the run-of-the-mill PDF guides
> and CHM Helps. Maybe tutorials, well designed UI, etc.

"Software documentation" is such a broad category that I don't think
any of us can be sure what you are seeking. The documentation
requirements are completely different for a mass audience desktop
software application (e.g. a word processor) compared to a web
application (e.g. a picture sharing application), or game software,
or a complex and fairly specialized application (e.g. a sophisticated
photo editing tool like Photoshop), or software for developers
(e.g. APIs or programming languages), or tools for system administrators.

One software application that used to be singled out for special
mention of its documentation was Intuit's Quicken, but I haven't
used that tool for a number of years and don't know whether the
documentation is still as special as it once seemed.

Fred Ridder

Boo! Scare away worms, viruses and so much more! Try Windows Live OneCare!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tech44writer%40yahoo.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList