Re: Author-it [was: Single Sourcing tools]

Subject: Re: Author-it [was: Single Sourcing tools]
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:33:08 -0400

Hi, Jan :-)

> a) whether a sufficient level of version control exists to be able to work
> in multiple versions of that source, regardless of the release in work.

It exists, but it is designed for versions that can be frozen (that
is, version 1 has been published, and now I need to change this
object, so it becomes version 2. However, once I activate version 2, I
can no longer make changes to version 1.)

There are ways around this, but they increase the amount of complexity.

> b) what about, e.g., branding or product-based differences in inline-text?
> For instance, the permissions you mention below could easily be used to
> address differences in higher-order elements like paragraphs, but it would
> be far more complicated to do so within the context of a single sentence.
> Text entities/variables would be more useful in such instances. Are they
> available for use?

Yes. AIT has three types of variables (text, list, and file object),
so it sounds like you would want to use list.

> c) conditional text? Is its use available? How difficult is it to use and
> keep straight among a number of authors?

It is available, but it works differently from file-based tools. In
AIT, you can control conditions by style (by specifying which output
types the content can be published to). Then there are variables (the
list variables above come in handy) and embedded topics, where you
create new topics by pulling together other topic objects into a new
parent "shell".

> I'd ask these questions because one of the great aspects of using SGML or
> XML to publish documentation is the control one has over the final,
> published version of a document. Mind you, I'm not necessarily a proponent
> of one tool's use over another. Many of the XML-based authoring tools share
> similar functionalities, even if the ways they go about it might be
> different.

I agree. I jumped into this thread because I could answer the AIT questions :-)

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list. (Inquiries sent off-list
may not be seen.)
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
2006-2007 Microsoft Help MVP
Find a Help Authoring Tool at HAT-Matrix.com ~ http://hat-matrix.com
Co-author of "Managing Virtual Teams" ~ http://www.wordware.com/wiki
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
STC Secretary, 2006-2008
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList