Re: 'Step Up to Leader' Post > Tangential Question

Subject: Re: 'Step Up to Leader' Post > Tangential Question
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:32:10 +0800

Suzette's suggestions are good. It would be worth going to your boss and
saying, "I believe it's bad for the team/company to let this person
continue to ignore or contradict our plans, schedules and standards. Do
I have authority to deal with this? If so, this is what I propose to do.
Do you have any other advice or suggestions for how to handle this? If I
don't have authority, will you deal with it?"

If you "know they are doing it intentionally to be defiant" then delay
will only make things worse. The subordinate has surely learned that
defiance is both rewarded and justified. The next time this happens you
can either reinforce this harmful impression or start to overcome it.

Unfortunately some people make it all the way through childhood and into
the workforce having been told they're special, talented, important, and
that it's their thoughts and feelings that really matter. It's possible
this is the first time they've been told than, even though they would
prefer to do things their way, in fact the people who's job it is to
decided these things want it done a different way. (I'm sure you'll find
a more tactful way to put this :^)

It's a hard thing to let go when you firmly and genuinely believe that
your way would be better. It's certainly a bitter lesson to learn, but
necessary, as you and I and most people on this list found back when we
were about four years old. Help this subordinate grow and mature and
learn how to play nicely with the other kids in this big day-care centre
we call adult employment.

I wonder if this person has ambitions to manage people some day. If they
can't direction, how can they expect others to?

Stuart

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList