Re: an apology (LinkedIn fiasco)

Subject: Re: an apology (LinkedIn fiasco)
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: Lauren <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>, 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:01:00 -0500 (CDT)

As a self-employed freelancer, I find Linked-In to be a wonderful resource.

1. I search the STC Directory for anyone with that company name in their email address. If I find someone, of course I contact them first.

2. I look up the company in Linked-In and see if I know anyone there (1st degree contact) or if I have a link to anyone there (or anyone who has worked there recently).

3. If I have any contacts who look potentially useful, and if they've checked "Looking for Work" or whatever it is as one of their interests, I ask for an introduction.

4. If they accept, I then ask them whatever I think they can help with -- the name of the doc manager, of course, or whatever else is germane.

5. If they come through with a name and contact info, I then follow that up.

Without Linked-In, I'd have to send email to one of the management team listed on the company web site, and they're undoubtedly inundated with email all the time. Linked-In gives me a chance to discover who's in the doc department (if there is one) or who in-house is in charge of documentation.

I've had great results with this method.

OH -- major warning: Headhunters have now gotten themselves onto people's contact lists. Linked-In for them is like shooting fish in a barrel. Example: I send a request to my friend X, who passes it on to Headhunter Y (who is linked to my target of interest).

Headhunter Y refuses to pass it on and writes in an email: "I don't think this is a good fit. But -- hey -- if you think my company could help, send me your resume!"

If a headhunter you know asks to link to you, please don't.

To get back to my example, my friend X should never have accepted Headhunter Y's request to connect. This tactic by the headhunters utterly destroys Linked-In's integrity. I've emailed them (LI) about it but never heard back.

--Nancy

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList