Word Outline and Doc Map Problem

Subject: Word Outline and Doc Map Problem
From: "Jim Morgan" <Jim -dot- Morgan -at- jdsu -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:11:15 -0700

Okay, I've just spent 20 minutes in Word Help, the Microsoft KB, and on the Web and can't find an answer to this one. I'm working in Word 2003/XP. I use custom heading styles, which I have set to different outline levels through the Styles pane. That is, "Custom Heading 1" is Outline Level 1, "Custom Heading 2" is Outline Level 2," etc.

Up until yesterday, these headings were outlined properly in the Document Map and Outline View. But I did something yesterday that made them go all kaflooey. Yes, that's a technical term. Now some headings appear, others don't, captions now appear in the Doc Map and at heading levels in the Outline View even though "Caption" style is still at "Body Text" outline level, and most are not indented. Anybody have experience with this? Even better, a solution?

Regards,
Jim

TeamTrainers Consulting
Seattle, WA