RE: Front and Back matter in User Guides (where do you put the companycontact info)

Subject: RE: Front and Back matter in User Guides (where do you put the companycontact info)
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Caroline Tabach'" <caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:20:15 -0700

I put it in the front of manual. Manuals tend to follow conventions similar
to published books, but some of the content is different. Sections of
publications include and in the order that follows, cover, title page,
copyright information that includes the publisher's address, table of
contents, contents, index, and others.

Look inside any book at the first page after the title page and you see the
copyright page with contact information for the publishers and copyright
dates. This page will provide you with all of the information that you need
to know about the book and to get in contact with owners of the copyright.
This information is not usually included in the back matter.

Manuals include similar information. Instead of copyright information that
includes ISBNs and such, copyright information for manuals include the
document owners and contact information and should include a revision
history, although sometimes the revision history is at the end of the
document.

Refer to the Chicago Manual of Style, section 1.27 under the heading, "Front
Matter," that begins with the section, "Publisher's Address." Also, refer
to the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications, 3rd edition,
section 9, page 146, under the heading "Front Matter."

Lauren