Re: Word 2007?

Subject: Re: Word 2007?
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:22:56 -0500

Well, my complaint has reaped lots of rewards from our faithful colleagues,
and I want to thank you all (Richard, Geoff, Beth, and Julie).

I don't know what MS intended with their changes to Word; I haven't used it
enough yet to comment on whether it has new capabilities that will increase
my productivity as a writer. In the short run, it will decrease it, but
that's "to be expected."

For they benefit of anyone reading this who hasn't seen the Word interface,
the top of the document has tabs for "Home," "Insert," "Page Layout,"
"References," "Mailings," "Review," and "View." That's two fewer top level
"menus" than the XP version. I've been working at customizing another tool
bar, which has helped me find some of the other functions I've used in the
past, but it'll be a while till I can find them all.

I'm just very puzzled at how this type of organization is supposed to be
more user friendly. Perhaps it's as someone suggested, designed for the
newest generation, who are supposedly more graphically oriented. Perhaps
we'll return to pictographs and ideographs in the future :-) That'll be a
really steep learning curve!

--
Kathleen MacDowell
www.writefortheuser.com