RE: Flare and SharePoint

Subject: RE: Flare and SharePoint
From: "Margaret Hassall" <Margaret -dot- Hassall -at- computershare -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "Kapoor, Shelly" <SKapoor -at- imf -dot- org>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:00:37 +1000

We develop help files in Flare (minimal licences, all in same location),
and we use Share Point for document sharing, mainly for reviewing - for
hundreds of developers/BAs/testers/training, etc in many office
locations around the world, but all company internal.

We develop web help and CHMs on our local machines, and upload the
output to share point for access for everyone else. Users have to
download the CHMs locally before they can read/review them - but that is
an MS issue. For webhelp, we just copy the whole folder tree to a share
point document library and it all works well. Share Point itself seems
to limit you to uploading a folder at a time, so we just copy via
windows/File explorer.

We don't develop/distribute Flare's DotNet help so I can't say if that
would work (you need the reader installed locally I think).

For our production context sensitive help (webhelp), that is usually
installed on the same server as the application. But we are in the
process of testing if our applications can access help files stored on
Sharepoint - initial tests are good.

All our original/source topics for Flare are stored on a local file
server that the tech writers have access to - have not tried the Share
Point version control.

Hope this helps.
Margaret