RE: poor/misleading signage

Subject: RE: poor/misleading signage
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Susan Hogarth" <hogarth -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:45:43 -0600

Susan Hogarth wrote:

> I *assume* the sign means:
>
> "Weapons, concealed or otherwise, are prohibited on these premises."
>
> But it COULD mean:
>
> "Weapons concealed, or otherwise are prohibited on these premises"
>
> So if I bring my weapon and keep it concealed, I should be OK, right?
> (yeah, as *if*!)
>
> I suspect I'm too new here to actually ASK this question
> without getting a visit form the FBI - especially considering
> the ...err, enthusiasm... of some of my car's bumper strips.

I suppose if you're new there, you probably don't want to needle them
about defining their terms, either. For instance, my car key, thrust
sharply into a throat or eye socket, is a pretty potent weapon. They can
have my car key when they ... um, well ... pay off the loan. ;-)

Or maybe the sign is incomplete, and the poster plans to add the
assumptions underlying the ban:

"Weapons, concealed or otherwise, are prohibited on these premises: ..."

In Colorado, Rocky Mtn. Gun Owners has a "Merchant Awareness Program"
(www.rmgo.org/merchant/) to educate businesses about the disadvantages
of disarming the honest, peaceful people (contrary to what many believe,
signs and ordinances banning firearms aren't magic, so only work on the
law-abiding). RMGO has cards (www.rmgo.org/images/Merchantcard.jpg) for
handing out to businesses displaying "no weapons" signs. Maybe you could
anonymously send something similar to your employer.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer