Re: Automating repetitive task?

Subject: Re: Automating repetitive task?
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:19:23 -0500

Several years ago I was in a similar situation and derived the following
method:

1. Generate a list of graphic files in the folder, save it to a file,
format, and print. To my memory (working with W2000), I generated the file
list using one of Outlook's functions (but haven't used Outlook for 3 years,
so can't give better directions)

2. Show the names of the files being used in the original Word document: in
the Word document or a copy, Select All, then press "Alt + F9" .

3. On the printout of files, check off the ones in use.

4. Go through the folder and remove unused files.

Bill's macro idea is also good; I used macros for lots of those types of
tasks, but don't know if it would be quicker in this case.

Regards

Kathleen

On 8/13/07, Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net> wrote:

> Hi, everyone. I have a fairly long Word doc with many figures. As we all
> know, Word does not provide a UI function to generate a list of imported
> figures (either linked or pasted in). Instead, to get said list, you save
> the doc as html, open the html doc, and search for "title=". This takes you
> to your original name for each graphic file.
>
> I needed to compile a list of the graphic files used in the doc, so that I
> can delete all the also-rans that are cluttering up my "Art" file for this
> document. (Management of graphic files a topic for another thread.)
>
> Because I don't know any better, I'm following this manual procedure:
>
> 1. Search for "title=".
> 2. Highlight text that follows immediatly, in quotation marks. Example:
>
> title="Compute_Values"
>
> 3. Select "Compute_Values" and copy it into a separate Notepad file
> (although it could be a Word file; it doesn't matter to me).
>
> 4. repeat steps 1-3 to end of .html file.
>
> Can someone point me in the direction of the skills I need to be able to
> automate something as stupidly repetitious as this?
>
> If it's important, I used "View Source" from inside Word to view the .html
> file, and it opened in something called Microsoft Script Editor. I believe
> if I had opened the file in Explorer and then used View Source, it would
> have opened in Notepad. In either case, the .html file opens in a tool other
> than Word, so I'm working in at least two applications.
>
> Pointers gratefully received.
>
> --Nancy
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kathleen.eamd%40gmail.com

Kathleen MacDowell
www.writefortheuser.com