Re: I've been wrong all along...more pictures less words

Subject: Re: I've been wrong all along...more pictures less words
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:25:31 -0700

This must be another one of those "how are things on your planet"
moments for me. In the industries I work in, we write our
requirmeent specs when there is no "as-is." The specs lay out
what the product is supposed to do and the performance
parameters the product has to do it to or within, but not how
(unless the new product is heavily based an a preexisting one).
As development proceeds, if it is discovered that the original
functions and/or performance parameters cannot be met and
must be changed, the requirement spec is revised. "How to"
instructions to install, configure, operate and maintain the
product are created based on the "as-is" as it evolves, but the
"what" and "how well" in the the as-is product and the docs all
better match the development spec or we don't go to release.
What we call "product specs" are two-page advertising brochures
that get handed out at trade shows. Nobody (especially not
our competitors) is supposed to be able to develop product
from those.

Gene Kim-Eng