RE: Unique doc IDs

Subject: RE: Unique doc IDs
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Sarah Bouchier'" <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 12:19:16 -0700

Hi Exony,

I've always liked using the date in some form when there wasn't some other
ID available, like a project ID. The date can get lengthy and needs to
conform to the expected life of the document plus a few years. So use
four-digit years for documents that will be around in a hundred years.

I tend to compartmentalize everything and "compartments" that people can
easily accept get used in communication and file naming. Like "O" for
operations, "S" for system, and "A" for administrative. The group that the
document supports can also get into the ID. What the document supports can
also be there, but that is usually unique by itself, unless there are a lot
of documents in the group. The version number also gets into many document
titles.

So the first draft of an Administrative document that is created for the
Technical Publications group on August 6, 2007 (or the week beginning that
date) and that supports file naming, may be called
"TP-A-20070806-naming-v0."

You can also just sequentially number all of your documents with an 8-digit
number.

Lauren