RE: Six elementary rules for writing good english

Subject: RE: Six elementary rules for writing good english
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Mark the Writer'" <mdb-career -at- cox -dot- net>, "'techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:54:06 -0700

Hey Mark,

I you are saying that you write scientific terms when you cannot think of an
everyday English equivalent, then you are not contradicting the rule. An
everyday English equivalent that is not used by the audience of the document
is not exactly an "equivalent" because it will not function as an equal
term. However, even scientific technical documents should be written for
the everyday person with the appropriate scientific background to
understand, so terms should be appropriately defined when they are used.

Also, I think that in this case, Rule #5, "jargon" is getting the same
treatment as colloquilism. Although, there are certain terms that people
use in everyday speech and informal writing, formal documentation needs use
clear, non-casual terms and avoid the use of jargon or colloquialism.

Lauren