RE: Knowledge is manufactured?

Subject: RE: Knowledge is manufactured?
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 16:16:50 -0400

It's Friday and almost time to go home, so I'm a little thick.

But if I take the knowledge gladly offered up (and sometimes pried out with a knife and fork) from an SME, and do my magick thang, I offer it then as "information" to my eager bright-eyed readers (and the alcohol/misery/drug-dulled guys out there too).

But we were also talking about the conversion of information into knowledge. But now it's going from "knowledge" _to_ information.

I'm getting dizzy. This is not unusual for me, so don't worry about it and I won't either.

Today I nailed down this facility's organization chart. Finally. Managers expressed concern about it being a controlled document because "it changes so much". Would not hear my argument that these are exactly the documents that _must_ be controlled, and that's why we have to control them.

We have compromised: I'm allowed to have a controlled document, a skeleton that shows only position titles. I also was allowed to create another document including the names of the people holding the positions, labelled "Uncontrolled document created from DS 6225" and including the date generated.

Sigh. It's a culture change. They previously had no org chart of any kind, nobody knew who reported to whom, and who did what to whom anyway. And everybody pretty much liked it that way.

So today it's a little more kicking and screaming than singing and jubilating, but we are making progress toward the 21st century. I think. And that _is_ progress.

Dori Green

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList