Using Icons with Links

Subject: Using Icons with Links
From: "Gilbert, Brian" <BGILBER -at- transunion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:17:53 -0500

Hi!

We link to files within CBTs, the corporate intranet, and documents. We
want to graphically indicate whether a link is to a Web site, a PDF
file, an Excel file, etc. We contacted Adobe to make sure we were in
compliance in using the icon that appears in Windows Explorer (there was
some question regarding the wording of licenses, etc.). The Adobe
Customer Service Rep told us we could not use their icons to indicate a
link to a PDF file, but that we could create our own as long as it was
not identical to theirs. Microsoft has similar wording, but we've not
contacted them. (Can someone explain why this is the policy? I can't
seem to think of a reason for it.)

So, my question to the group is, do you indicate the type of link within
documents or on your Web sites graphically? If so, do you use one icon
to indicate a file and one to indicate a Web site, or are they specific
to the type of file? How do you indicate PDF doc vs Excel doc vs Word
doc?

Thanks!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList