Re: The technologically challenged (was - Re: Tech writers stillnecessary, but performing poorly)

Subject: Re: The technologically challenged (was - Re: Tech writers stillnecessary, but performing poorly)
From: Jan Cohen <najnehoc -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 19:33:06 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah, you've got a very good point there, especially with the washing machine, dryer and wall oven examples you mentioned in your previous post. In your case though, you could probably get OJT from your better half that would far outdo instructions in the best of manuals. As for those who don't have an experienced better half to turn to, I guess the need for an explicit dummies guide to using your widget really becomes paramount.

And since we're talking about washers and driers, I bought a new set when I bought my house last year. I'm single, male and over 50, and didn't know a whole lot about those sort of appliances back then (I still don't). So I turned to Consumer Reports for their advice, and ended up with a relatively good set of appliances that only has twisty knobs on top. As for how to clean clothing properly, I do it like I always did it at the laundromat: set to cold or warm water, adding caps full of cold water detergent and that blue stuff that smells like a powdered baby's butt. Coloreds or whites, I have yet to put on a set of clean clothing that's made me want to scratch my rear end. That's probably a good thing, eh?

After re-reading what I wrote above: Uh, oh yeah, btw, I do tend to change my clothing regularly (but you probably didn't need or want to know that).

jan cohen

Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote: Oh, there's nothing wrong with equipment that has the capability
of doing complex things at the cost of having to learn complex
procedures for using it. The problem is when this kind of stuff
is the *only* thing one can buy. In my youth I was a photo
hobbyist, with all sorts of esoteric camera and darkroom toys,
and had no problem manipulating them all. But today my needs
are different, and the box camera gadget is fine - or would be
if they were being made.

Gene Kim-Eng