Re: The coming predominance of user experience and technicalcommunications

Subject: Re: The coming predominance of user experience and technicalcommunications
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:36:16 -0700

The more I read this list, the happier I am that I don't work in the software
industry. I have documented software before, but only as part of systems
in which the software interfaces with and controls hardware. In this sort
of development environment, a lack of understanding and communication
between software and hardware developers and user-testers usually results
in dead products (if not dead users), so every interaction between the two
is mapped out in excrutiating detail long before issues like the sizes and
locations of buttons and dialogs ever come up. Is it sometimes necessary
to ask questions? Yes, but usually they are along the lines of, "I clicked
button A and got result X, wasn't I supposed to get result Y?" Whether
you're a project manager, developer, tester or technical writer, if you
don't know what results X and Y are and why X is wrong and Y is right
when you click A, you're probably not going to be around here long enough
to ask very many questions about interfaces and user experience.

Gene Kim-Eng