RE: FrameMaker Graphics

Subject: RE: FrameMaker Graphics
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:43:17 -0400

There is no reason (or justification) for using a screenshot of
a PDF page to deal with a missing graphics source file as long
as you have Acrobat. From the PDF of the document, export
just the page containing the graphic, then use Acrobat to
crop that page to show just the figure. Then save that
cropped page, either as a PDF (if you're using FrameMaker or
some other app that can handle PDFs as graphic objects) or
as an EPS (if you're using MS Word or other app that can't
handle PDFs as graphics. You might even be able to edit the
exported graphic in Illustrator if the figure originated in a
vector graphics tool and if all the planets are aligned.

-Fred Ridder

From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Al Geist'" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>,"'Ami WRIGHT'" <ami -at- ziplink -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:52:05 -0700

> Behalf Of Al Geist
>
> Never, ever get rid of your originals, unless you want big
> headaches down
> the road. Keep them on a CD or DVD, but never keep them in
> the trash can.

I've had a few contracts where the original graphics were gone, the
applications were unavailable (to me at least) for new screenshots, and all
I had was an old document, sometimes just a pdf, with the graphics. Suffice
it to say, that image quality from taking a screen shot of a pdf is not
quite as clear as that from an original graphic.

Personally, I save everything and try to keep descriptive (but short)
filenames and folder names. I sometimes also prepare a document with a
folder contents list and store it in the root project folder. It's up to
the client to archive this properly, but my conscience is clean about what I
leave behind.

Lauren

Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!  http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList