RE: Getting Up To Speed On A Contract Assignment

Subject: RE: Getting Up To Speed On A Contract Assignment
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 05:52:15 -0700

<hail Terry Gilliam> They dug you a hole?! You were lucky then. When I
started, they gave me a shovel and a pen and said 'Make with the writing,
boy, and make it neat - your new name is Dot Matrix.' ...</hail Terry
Gilliam>

Richard's description of his work area fits several work experiences that
I've had. At one location my cubicle - or, more accurately, my peninsula -
jutted so far out into the hallway that people bumped into the back of my
chair at least a dozen times per day.

Lunchtime was the best as a group of employees usually hovered right behind
me discussing where to eat, who should drive, and what foods caused
gastrointestinal difficulties.

Add to that the networked printer that was three feet away and the fire
extinguisher that I leaned up against - which was checked by fire department
every few weeks - and you can see that I was in the loop, so to speak.

I mention this because, although the material that I was creating was
considered to be just as important as the software itself, the developers
were coddled in an office at the end of a hallway.

Can we form a tech writer's union?

- Jim