Re: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job

Subject: Re: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job
From: Writers Book Mall <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com>
To: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:10:56 -0700 (PDT)

My gut says it's a matter of the kind of work you're
doing. If it's "being the tech writer" and handling
routine work when it comes in, it seems less a big
deal than if you are a crucial part of a time-bound
project.

I once had a crackerjack contract writer working for
me, who cost more than any other, but who was really
worth it. Our work was very time-bound (well, that's
something of an understatement). One day, she said she
was moving to another city to take a contract for a
technical area she had always wanted to move into. And
could she keep working for us remotely in her spare
time?

I politely thanked her for her contributions, but said
no. We were in crisis mode, and she was jumping ship
for another project that seemed more fun.

On the other hand, if she had pulled me aside to say
that someone else was offering her more money, I would
have listened. She was that good, and I would have
been ready to renegotiate.

I guess the difference is that money is something I
could have addressed. The relative quality of "fun" in
the product wasn't, and so it would not have served
anyone's interests if we were to try to continue
depending on her and be at the mercies of the "fun"
project's demands.

Finally, a web host who will help you build and run a site: The Hosting Team - http://www.thehostingteam.com
Books for writers at http://www.writersbookmall.com
Tech writing jobs at http://www.techwritingjobs.com