Re: desktop search recommendations

Subject: Re: desktop search recommendations
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Gordon McLean <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- GrahamTechnology -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:14:17 -0700

Gordon McLean wrote:

> There are hundreds of different file types, I doubt any single tool could
> index them all.

The last time I looked, most file types stored text content as
unmodified text.

To see this, make a copy of a Word file that has some text in it.
Then, in a DOS Window (aka, "Command Window"), execute this command:

type <your Word filename> | more

Scroll thru a few screenfuls by pressing the spacebar once to scroll
once. You should start to see the text scrolling by after the Word
header has gone past.

Do this with a copy of any file you want. If it has text in it, it is
probably viewable this way.

> No offence Ned, but I doubt your homemade indexer could either.

Heck, Gordo. It is just a matter of opening disk files and looking for
text in them. Machine indexing does not need to know what application
created the file.

> Or maybe the documentation says that because legal said to put it in?? ;-)

Now we're talking like hardworking people of business. Say hello to the
family for me :-)

All standard disclaimers etc.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com