RE: Delegating (was: Working later than the boss)

Subject: RE: Delegating (was: Working later than the boss)
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 08:10:39 -0700

Hey, Jim! Say hey to Steph and you still owe me dinner.

My thought? Have the new writers shadow you. Take them to meetings with you
so they can start taking those same notes. Have them edit the stuff you're
writing for the things they attended. Ask their thoughts for what's missing,
etc, with the stated intention that they will be taking over X for the Y
group shortly. The goal is to get people comfortable with the new writers
and the new writers comfy with the new role.

Do this for a week. Then start letting the writers write the stuff. Add
additional time to the schedules for the writers to learn as they do.
Prepare yourself for helping them during this time. Also - be aware that the
entire effort of your writing group will slow down for about a month while
everyone learns.

Any training that your company may offer in tools or technology will help
during this time as well.

You can't just dump stuff on people. They will fail or at least struggle a
lot and then everyone loses credibility.

Finally, don't bunk the new writers with the most unhappy and mentally ill
employee. I think we can both say from bitter experience that's not going to
work well! ;-)

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting