Re: 40-hour weeks (was Re: FWD: Lack...)

Subject: Re: 40-hour weeks (was Re: FWD: Lack...)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 07:59:49 -0700

I think it also assumes that when "Anonymous" said the rest of the team
"works" 45 hour weeks he/she actually meant hours of work and not just
hours spent on the premises. In just about every company I've ever
worked we've managed projects on the basis of everyone involved
doing a 40 hour week, but it's been 20 years since I worked anyplace
where people were actually expected to arrive at the office at a specific
time and keep their noses to the grindstone for exactly eight hours plus
the government-mandated 30 minute lunch and other breaks until
"quitting time" rolled along. Between flextime, lunches out, morning
coffee klatches, wandering in and out of the break room to score
leftovers from the customer meeting trays and checking our personal
email and active eBay items, I would guess that my average day from
morning start to evening shutdown over the years has been somewhere
in the neighborhood of 8.5-9.5 hours daily, but actual hands-on
working time hardly ever more than 8. I think most of us spend more
time at the office than we used to in the "old days" because we're
finding that it's easier to do some things there that working people
used to do at home.

Gene Kim-Eng