RE: 40-hour weeks (was Re: FWD: Lack...)

Subject: RE: 40-hour weeks (was Re: FWD: Lack...)
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Connie Giordano'" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:15:24 -0700

The 40-hour work week is a legal limitation so that workers are not treated
as slaves, essentially. It was established in 1938 to protect factory
workers. Employees today have the right to work more than 8 hours a day, 5
days a week, but an employer cannot mandate this for hourly employees and
employers are required to provide overtime compensation. Salaried and
certain public employees are usually exempt from the legal requirements.
Employees earning more than a certain amount per hour are also exempt in
certain cases. There are discussions and proposals to change the law, but I
think that it is healthier for people to learn how to not make work their
biggest priority. Personal and family health suffers when people work long
hours.

Dept. of Labor overtime law,
http://www.dol.gov/dolfaq/go-dol-faq.asp?faqid=320&faqsub=Work+Hours&faqtop=
Wages+%26+Work+Hours&topicid=1