Re: How do you publish your documents, guides or completed help

Subject: Re: How do you publish your documents, guides or completed help
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Daniel Ng <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:25:22 -0700

Daniel Ng wrote:

> Often I end up having to email documents to ppl, I think it could be a
> misuse of email though.

Yes, but not because of anything you can control.

The classic complaint comes from people who have disk space limits on
the mail server. Obviously, in an age where terrabytes of hot-swappable
hard disks can be had cheeper than ever, disk space should and could be
increased for people that use more, but no-o-oo-oo, they'd rather blame
the tech writer for maxing out their quotas.

Another complaint comes from people who dial-in. They get all honked
off if you've mailed them documents that they have to download in order
to get the rest of their email. Web mail or mail client add-ons could
fix this problem for dial-ins, but the admins are just too busy to set
up a server or support the add-on. A simpler solution is to put the doc
on a share and announcing it with an email (subject line "DOCUMENTATION
UPDATED: Disaster Recovery Plan v1.3").

I like to have a standard first word like "DOCUMENTATION" for
work-related emails that I originate. Doing so gives me some
gratification, as I look over the shoulder of the reviewer who didn't
review, and say "Sort by subject. Now scroll to the subject lines
begining with DOCUMENTATION. See, there it is, two weeks old and never
been opened. When can you have your review comments for me?"

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList