Re: Status of the Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Status of the Technical Writer
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:00:53 -0700

> The proposed new definition is:
>
> 27-1028 Technical Communicators
> Develop and design instructional and informational tools needed to
> assure safe, easy, proper and complete use of technical goods and
> services. Combine multi-media knowledge and strong communication skills
> with technical expertise to educate across the entire spectrum of users'
> abilities, technical experience, and visual and auditory capabilities.

Apologies in advance to non-USA listers who are not amused by this
regional flapdoodle.

I wonder, are the traditional multimedia and instructional design and
development trades planning top merge into the STC and already on board
with this initiative? If not, they're likely to see it as an arrogation
of their responsibilities, and STC's initiative will amount to a request
for the US Department of Labor to adjudicate a turf battle.

I also wonder if this expansive update to the DOL's definition of tech
writing is already checked out with DOL, and judged to have a chance of
succeeding?

Perhaps someone in STC is reading this and will indulge me with an
explanation?

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList