Re: This too is technical communication:

Subject: Re: This too is technical communication:
From: Troy Klukewich <tklukewich -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 09:25:40 -0700 (PDT)

<quote>
Personally, I have stopped tilting at windmills and instead concentrate my efforts at finding companies who have already bought into the need.
</quote>

I'm with Gene. It's hard to sell a cure to patients who think they're perfectly healthy (even when their limbs are falling off). I've found the best situations are when a company has experienced some kind of highly visible pain-point around documentation.

Maybe they've grown and their casually generated documentation is no longer working. Customers are increasingly complaining about the documentation and localization costs are going throughy the roof. Maybe an entire project failed because they didn't put enough thought into doc (it happens). They need pros and they know it.

I'm still not sure why our value is so often shrouded in mystery or even considered a "nice to have," relegated to the back of the train. Try selling a software product of any sophistication in the marketplace with no documentation and see how long you stay in business. There is clearly an essential requirement to technical documentation. Cut into doc too deeply and suddenly past a critical threshold the whole business model collapses.

One of the best experiences I had in doc was while working a contract for a utility company many years ago. They had just experienced a catastrophic failure in a very expensive, custom software project. They underestimated the need and value of documentation and the whole project failed. It cost millions.

After that, the company implemented the best set of documentation practices into the development org that I've ever seen. It's the only place I've worked at where developers would proactively come to me, almost in a panic, asking for content to review. Their reviews were part of the development cycle itself.

Product and doc were fully integrated as a process, a best practice considering that documentation is an integral part of the product and is delivered to customers, too.

It is a fact of life that for many companies they must first experience blindness before seeing the light. :-)

Go, doc! ;-)

Troy Klukewich
Information Architect
Oracle

From: "Chris Borokowski" <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
> Good point. I think that the first step toward this is
> having them understand what we do as something more
> than writing the manual after all the other work gets
> done.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as tklukewich -at- sbcglobal -dot- net -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tklukewich%40sbcglobal.net

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList