Re: Status of the Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Status of the Technical Writer
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>, "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 16:16:21 -0700

In the federal government, it pretty much always has been. The
content of documents in federal agencies is drafted by technical
and field staff, and "technical writers" (if any are used) review,
edit and update to ensure that documents comply with applicable
agency and dept-specific requirements. The "technical" part is
understanding the *document* requirements (which are usually
at least as complicated as filling out your income taxes). Most
"technology" employed by government is produced by
private-sector contractors, and the "tehcnological technical
writing" is done there.

I have no experience with government documentation on the
state or local levels, but I would expect them to be similar.

Gene Kim-Eng