Re: "to persist data"

Subject: Re: "to persist data"
From: "Raj Machhan" <raj -dot- machhan -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Julia Norquist" <techiejules -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 15:10:54 +0530

I agree with Julia -- absolutely! Sometimes writers tend to get carried away
by grand things like evolution of "technology and its language". I fail to
understand what causes people to deviate from the premise, which lead
to development of technical writing as a distinct profession in the first
place:
"You are writing for the end users. This is your job and if the end users
cannot understand what you write, you are lacking somewhere."
Lauren has a point about evolution. Things evolve and technical terminology
is no exception. But you have to see whether the end user has evolved too.
Is he or she abreast of the latest technical terminology? Glossaries are not
a solution to this. If your end users are fuddy duddies, I guess it makes
sense for you to be on the same wave length or at least try and explain the
meaning of the evolved terminology as you write.

Raj