RE: How to convert PDF file originally created in Illustrator/InDesignto editable format

Subject: RE: How to convert PDF file originally created in Illustrator/InDesignto editable format
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:52:36 -0400

Sorry, but PDF is not a native format for Illustrator. Adobe's Dov
Isaacs has repeatedly and emphatically stated on the FrameUsers
list that Illustrator is *NOT* a general-purpose PDF editor.
Illustrator may or may not be capable of opening PDFs that
were created by applications other than Illustrator. And when
such a file is opened, Illustrator may or may not be capable of
editing it and saving it without causing other problems because
Illustrator only supports a subset of the capabilities of the PDF
format.

And no tool allows you to edit text in a PDF that has been
converted to outlines, because it's no longer a series of letters--
just small graphic objects that happen to be shaped like letters.
A PDF that was created from a scan may or may not have
editable text (depending on whether it was successfully OCRed),
and there are quite a few PDFs that whose fonts were saved
as outlines to avoid issues with font embedding (e.g. for
licensed fonts). These documents are really frozen renditions
of the pages, not editable documents.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList