RE: This too is technical communication

Subject: RE: This too is technical communication
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 13:09:42 -0700

Gene,

What you are saying here about a technical writer's knowledge is in contrast
to many of the contracts that I have completed. My clients tend to tell me
something to the effect that they have a unique product, system, or process
and that the users vary in skill level. I can say that I know the type of
situation that they describe, but I cannot say that I know their exact
situation. I can describe how I have tackled situations like this and I
usually need to describe my information gathering skills. I can see how
using a term like, "clueless idiot" can have the wrong connotation in an
interview, but it doesn't seem bad as personal state of mind when
approaching project.

I have only been on one technical writing team and the entire environment is
different from what I know. I imagine that a manager would have
reservations about seemingly self-deprecating comments made by employees.
Negative personal comments can reflect on the entire team.

Knowing a user still requires some process to get from not knowing to
learning and then to knowing. Technical writers are not born "knowing."
How could it be possible that an interviewee would "know" the new situation?
What is that person's learning process? I would be concerned with somebody
that came in saying they know everything when they are new. Wouldn't that
attitude present the risk that the person may assume too much?

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList