Re: How to convert PDF file originally created in Illustrator/In Design to editable format

Subject: Re: How to convert PDF file originally created in Illustrator/In Design to editable format
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Karla Ortega" <karla_e_ortega -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 14:38:10 -0400

Hi Karla:

What version of Acrobat do you have? If it is 7.0 Professional or above, you
can use Acrobat's built-in text recognition to recreate the text.

The drawings may need to be re-created (sorry), but the help does say you
can convert the graphics. I've never done that, but would sure like to know
if it works. If you have to recreate the drawings, you can do a screen
capture and use a drawing program to either autotrace or redo by hand as an
overlay.

Here are the instructions from the Acrobat Help:
*

Converting image-only scanned pages to searchable text
*

If you did not apply OCR when you scanned the paper document, you can apply
it afterward using the Recognize Text Using OCR command. OCR software
enables you to search, correct, and copy the text in a scanned Adobe PDF
file. You can convert the pages in one of three file formats: Formatted Text
and Graphics, Searchable Image (Exact), and Searchable Image (Compact). All
formats apply OCR and font and page recognition to the text images and
convert them to normal text. The searchable image file types have a bitmap
image of the pages in the foreground and the converted text on an invisible
layer beneath.

You can use the Recognize Text Using OCR command on pages that were scanned
or imported at 144 ppi and higher.
*

To convert scanned pages to searchable text:

*
1. Open the file you want to convert, and choose Document > Recognize
Text Using OCR > Start.
2. Specify the pages to be converted.
3. Under Settings, click the Edit button if you want to change the
primary OCR language, the PDF output style, or the image downsampling. For
PDF Output Style, choose Searchable Image (Exact) to keep the original image
in the foreground and place searchable text behind the image. Choose
Searchable Image (Compact) to apply compression to the foreground image to
reduce file size but also reduce image quality. Choose Formatted Text &
Graphics to reconstruct the original page using recognized text, fonts,
pictures, and other graphic elements.
4. In the Recognize Text dialog box, click OK.

On 6/6/07, Karla Ortega <karla_e_ortega -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> We have some .pdf files originally created in InDesign and Illustrator,
> not the source files, and need to be able to edit them, add new text, and
> new graphics.
>
> When we try to select text, it's impossible because it seems the .pdf was
> saved as a graphic.
>
> Any ideas???
>
> The next step will be to try to scan the pdf and see if any text comes
> out....
>
> Urgently looking for an answer/answers! Help.
>
> Thank you much,
>
> Karla
> Karla_E_Ortega -at- hotmail -dot- com
> Play free games, earn tickets, get cool prizes! Join Live Search Club.
> http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_wlmailtextlink
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList