Re: This too is technical communication

Subject: Re: This too is technical communication
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:48:49 -0700

Chris Borokowski wrote:
> The problem is that some central authority or voice
> can really help organize a disparate profession. Some
> see certification as the answer.
>
> I would suggest that before we even worry about that
> debate, we start praising the good tech writing out
> there and making people aware of it.

Aiieeee! First, we'd have to be able to say what is good technical
writing. We can't swing a cat without hitting someone's definition that
includes add-ons.

I guess now is a good a time to make my stand about tech writing and its
place in the scheme of things. I have an example in mind, and FWIW, this
example is about a documentation team effort in which the tech writer's
role is limited to writing. The TW role is not responsible for
illustration, layout, typesetting, publishing, coding, and whatever. It
has been donkey years since anyone in tech writing (or anyone who uses
tech writers) has refered to The Work and our responsibilities in such
limited terms, but I think the limited role is the touchstone of tech
writing, and any definition of good tech writing or our role really
actually should try to hang with that limited sense of tech writing.

I have some typewriter repair manuals that are gems of technical
writing--the tech writer and illustrator created lucid overviews,
problem descriptions, and procedures. They obviously worked very closely
with the engineers, and the engineers obviously knew how to approach the
typewriter as a comprehensible bunch of systems. The editors knew the
subject and checked the content carefully. The book designers did an
exceptional job in laying out the pages, and the publishers put it all
in a hole-punched lay-flat binding on paper that withstands years of
usage in the shop.

I've worked through these manuals, and I can't recall ever being stumped
by an instruction that was ambiguously worded or insufficiently
illustrated, or a procedure that was inadequately analyzed before being
written up. It was not simply tech writing that produced good
documentation. The teamwork (writer, illustrator, editor, engineer,
designer, publisher) produced the high quality of this exemplary
documentation. User would write their names on their copies and put them
carefully away at night. They could fall in love with these manuals as
the perfect and comprehensive match for their needs. The manuals were a
big selling point in the marketing of these typewriters by a company
that was known as a salesman's company--I'm describing the manuals for
the IBM Selectric.

When today's tech writer takes on all of those responsibilities that
once were allocated to an entire team, the focus on quality is strained,
if it exists at all. If I thought it would do any good, I'd dig in my
heels and demand an editor, illustrator, and publishing assistance for
most tech writing projects. I'd be standing on my desk yelling "Do I
have to do it all??" But my employers these days have already grasped
the nature of their tech writer. All they have to do is yell back,
"Can't you?"

I, like most tech writers I know, find that question intriguing. As much
as I wish tech writing could be a sane and clearly defined, limited
role, I am one of those who don't think about it very long before
responding, "I think I can. I'll try." I know I'll have to rationalize a
lot of things that eventually go wrong, but in the final analysis, they
seem content with what they get, probably because people have become so
accustomed to lame documentation; no one seems to have any power to
demand better, even while we all are acutely aware that good
documentation is moving out of reach of tech writers.

Here endeth the screed.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com