Using the GIMP without installing; was: Re: my cropped graphics won't compress

Subject: Using the GIMP without installing; was: Re: my cropped graphics won't compress
From: "David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Lauren <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 09:11:15 -0600

Lauren,

I'm using the GIMP (and Inkscape, among others) *without* installing
it. They are running from a USB drive using the versions from
PortableApps.com. I plug in my USB thumb drive, click on the menu
command, and go to work.

I also have a highly customized version of Firefox on it, the entire
OpenOffice.org suite, and many others.

Obviously, I don't know the terms of your contracts, but you could
perhaps do the same thing without being in violation?

If they have disabled USB drives from your access, the same thing
could be done on a CD.

David

"I do not have privacy on my client's computers and they do know what I have
put on those machines when the project ends because they do access my files
when I leave. In my experience, managers believe that the contract
technical writer does not need a graphics program. They have never approved
my use of any graphics program other than what is on my computer, even when
they do have a license."

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList