RE: This too is technical communication

Subject: RE: This too is technical communication
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 12:10:29 -0400

This is again a problem of PR. As professional communicators, we have skills
in communication facilitation, capturing information, and clarifying things
that very few other people possess, but which come in very handy in a
meeting or minutes situation. The problem is that those functions are seen
as menial administrative duties, and those who perform them as simply
clerks.

Corporate Secretaries (who provide governance and communication functions
for Boards of Directors and Corporations) used to be called Professional
Secretaries until they got tired of always being confused with
administrative secretaries.

Until there is an active and ongoing effort to get the message out about
what we do and who we are, there will be many who have no idea what a
technical writer can do for a company.
--Beth