Re: Access to software versions: a rant

Subject: Re: Access to software versions: a rant
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Stuart Burnfield" <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 13:10:04 -0400

I can believe it, because I work in the same kind of environment. <sigh> I'm
feeling pretty rant-like myself today.

Finally, I said, "I can't document what I cannot see. Period."

They sent me screen captures, and I sent dozens of e-mails, and called every
single time I had a question.

Such as, "what is the title of this window?"

"It's blah blah," they said.

I said, "No, it's not. Blah blah is on page 4. You took the screen cap so
the title is not visible. I can't go forward with the documentation until I
can tell the users what the window name is."

He says "It's BLAH BLAH!"

Me: "No, it's not. Come down here."

He comes down here. I point to the paper screen captures and say, "See this
page? This (pointing) and this (pointing) are NOT the same." He says. "Oh,
yeah. I see what you mean. I'll go get that for you." The screen capture
arrives, and right after that, my access to the application test bed arrives
too.

Hehehe :-)
Make it more work for them to help you than giving you access to the
application, and they will provide the less-work option :-D

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList