This too is technical communication

Subject: This too is technical communication
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 11:26:05 -0400

I've always had a very broad and generous view of what can be technical
communication. Taking my cue from the venerable Geoff Hart, I venture to say
that writing for government, in all its guises, is also best done by
technical communicators.

Any time you have to provide information that helps a user answer a
question, solve a problem, or perform a task, I think that it technical
communication.

Wouldn't life be better if those putting out such information actually used
technical communicators to produce it? This is where I think the STC needs
to start outreach -- publicizing what we do and how we can improve all sorts
of communication, including marketing, financial, and institutional.

--Beth

Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology
416-491-5050 x3133