Re: Professionalism and pay (was RE: 'Know thy audience')?

Subject: Re: Professionalism and pay (was RE: 'Know thy audience')?
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:22:16 -0700

I saw an STC initiative (last year, IIRC) trying to define tech writing
as an ISO standard or something. It was so deplorably misguided! It was
panned by everyone who commented on it. I hope they keep the hell out
the way, based on that performance.

STC was big with tech writers in the years when business worked to
classify us as non-professional. That would have been a good time for
STC to represent our interests. But most often, they worked like they
were in bed with employers, not tech writers. They behave like skwishy
feel-good ambassadors to business, working to ensure that we're always
remembered. As if manuals and documents would disappear without that
ineffectual effort.

So sorry, I know a lot of techwhirlers aspire to STC prominance, but
Bah! Get a life!!

--Ned

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList