RE: InDesign vs. Frame

Subject: RE: InDesign vs. Frame
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Wilhelm, Joel" <jwilhelm -at- athenati -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 09:52:47 -0600

Wilhelm, Joel wrote:

> Thanks Eric. So is InDesign not friendly to text? I don't get
> what it can't do that Frame can. Why are long docs bad in
> InDesign in other words?

I don't know what "friendly to text" means. I understand ID has terrific
typographic controls, so it can certainly make your text look pretty.
:-)

ID is very good at laying out individual pages. FM is very good at
managing books. The latter includes powerful autonumbering,
cross-references, easy generated lists, powerful marker functionality
(including indexes), conditional text, variables, flexible running
headers and footers, ... I understand that ID's table functionality is
nowhere near FM's, and it has no equation editor, if that's important.

I understand that ID plug-ins might provide more or less usable
implementations of some of the above features, but from what I've read
on the FrameUsers list (where this topic comes up fairly often), ID is
far from matching FM for handling book-length documents efficiently.

You might want to check the FrameUsers list archives for more discussion
(if you can get the search to cooperate):

http://lists.frameusers.com/pipermail/framers/

InDesign vs. Frame was last discussed about the middle of April, and
before that in mid-February, so you might browse those months.

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs