Re: Meeting (Teleconference) Facilitation

Subject: Re: Meeting (Teleconference) Facilitation
From: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: "Steve Cavanaugh" <scavanaugh -at- nat-seattle -dot- com>, "Anthony" <italian_scribbles -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 11:32:55 -0400

Here's an addition to what
Steve Cavanaugh wrote:
> 1. Have an agenda for every meeting. Begin by reviewing the agenda and
> ONLY add items your customer feels are important. If someone is adamant
> that their issue is important to discuss, sidetrack that by taking an
> action to call a separate meeting.

1.5. START THE MEETING ON TIME. Do not delay the beginning of the meeting
if some of the people have not showed up. Start anyway, even if nobody is
ready.

> 2. Stick to the agenda!

You will get requests, even from your own management, to run a wishy-washy
meeting instead of a controlled one. You'll quickly develop an understanding
of key "remarks" that seem to pop up. "I think we all understand X," means
either, "I think X is a waste of time," or "I don't want you poking your
nose into X." In any event, X is not well understood! That's just one. There
are others, all intended to sidetrack you and subvert your authority.

--Peter Neilson

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList